Rick Parker and Li Daiguo – meditation music for the artificially intelligent
Called “A randomly collided pair of quantum radicals sitting at a similar alt-world-classical tilt” by Tiny Mix Tapes, the duo of Rick Parker and Li Daiguo present their second release and first for Chant Records, meditation music for the artificially intelligent. Based in Brooklyn and China (respectively), the pair of forward-thinking musicians alchemically incorporate the sounds of trombone, cello, pipa, human voice and a variety of electronic instruments into a cauldron of sound that expands the overused “world music” genre designation to “universe music,” or perhaps even “multiverse music.” Dense, expressive, and at once lusciously organic yet firmly at home in the digital realm, meditation music for the artificially intelligent truly lives up to its title with a uniquely 21st century journey into the sonic unknown.
- dilapidated spacecraft levitates away you gaze dust storm unsure what you asked for what you want
- A.I. is our progeny ze is going to know what kind of parents we are should we just
- when in throes of despair gods of random truth revelation more likely come aide
- all is brain super minimal
- then ze feels like part of the accepted by infinite (non-binarily) motherly source light
- God what if a crazy hairdo led to
- then technological development ensured that no powerful person no matter how evil would ever have to die
- interspecies intimacy on zoo space station
- opium den floating through space
Li Daiguo – Pipa, Cello, Guzheng, Effects, Voice
Rick Parker – Trombone, Effects, Synthesizers
Track 1 recorded June, 2021 by Rick Parker in Brooklyn, NY, USA and Li Daiguo Dali, Yunnan, China.
Tracks 2-7 recorded December 5, 2016 at Grand Street Studio, Brooklyn, NY, USA. Engineered by Ken Rich.
Track 8 recorded October 30, 2014 at Degraw Sound, Brooklyn, NY USA. Engineered by Ben Rice. Overdubs by Rick Parker, 2021
Track 9 recorded July 13, 2014 at Fishman Studios, Caicun, Dali, Yunnan, China
Engineered by Yuefu.
Tracks 1-8 mixed by Ryan Mackstaller at Red Panda Recording, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Track 9 mixed by Joe Branciforte at Greyfade Studio, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Mastering by Ryan Mackstaller at Red Panda Recording, Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Cover Image by Li Shurui
Cover Design by Rick Parker and Roxanne Wang